Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Wonder Summer Job

Well, lets sum this up I guess. For the past 3 months I have been so brave of actually working with not so pleasant smelling milk replacer, straw, dirty grain water, long gewy slobber, a sifter, a piture to poor the milk, filthy smelling clothes, a dishwasher, lots of dirty buckets to wash, a fly swatter and can't forget a couple of new friends who have made me laugh and smile on the way, which equals, Calves. We have done it with the Sommer cousins next door and Maguel's two identical twin friends, Ben and Matt Doggett. Ben became a friend of mine and I have to say he has made it alittle more bearable. I just have to thank him for his friendship, even with my odd weird moments.
We feed morning and night each day, no heavenly break but vacation once and a while. Have to say, I do take vacation pretty often :D. We start feeding at 8 o'clock in the morning and 3:30 in the evening. We have raised about 80 calves (which is a guess but around that number). We sift grain which is given to them, we give them straw, and switch there water every morning. We feed with bottles until there old enough to use a bucket of the same amount of milk. Me and Camille (who I call Cami) do races on trying to do water as quick as possible. I think that is one of my favorite parts of doing it, even if you do get wet.
We get about 8 calves on average each Tuesday by a dairy farm in Shelly. At about 6 weeks, they start to get a good belly on them and we wean them off of the milk. I'm getting four calves which brings in some cash. I'm glad I have had this experience but I can't deny that I can't wait for school to start so I don't have to do it any more. Thanks for all the support, even when I don't want to get up or am a Crank.

1 comment:

  1. Ha, wow.. you and Natalia look AWESOME. Enjoy another year of school.

    ReplyDelete